PDA

View Full Version : **PLEASE READ** Motocampers is here to stay

Derick
02-07-2019, 10:37 AM
Hi All, I hope I'm not stepping on Rick's feet but I wanted to get some information out to everyone so expectations are set when the forum becomes unavailable in the next few days.

My name is Derick, and I run beginnerbikers.org. I reached out to Rick a couple of weeks ago when I saw that he was going to close/migrate to facebook. Unfortunately, my site is suffering the same fate right now and I certainly did not want to see another great resource fall to the wayside because of facebook. I wanted to ensure that the folks here still have a place to hang out and chat - because this is indeed a very niche topic. That said, motocampers.com has a great wealth of information on where folks have stayed, and how to find new sites and I wanted to ensure that was still available to the world. Let's face it, facebook will fall like many others before it....so fingers crossed that the forums become relevant again.

What does that mean for most folks? Really nothing, outside of the site being unavailable here and there in the coming week or so while I migrate the files, database, and DNS. I've already taken everything and tested it successfully with no issues, so I don't foresee there will be any issues with the migration. In addition, I want to upgrade the vbulletin install to the latest release of vb4, so the site will be unavailable for that upgrade as well. All in all, it will probably be down for a couple of hours twice over the next week or two. When we shut down the site to do the upgrade and migration, there will be a notice up outlining what is happening, and when we can expect things to return to service.

I am hoping to continue the legacy of the site, and not much will change. I'm always trying to ensure that I run things in an ad-free environment but what that will require me to do is fund drives from time to time. It doesn't take a whole lot to run the site, but there is overhead. I'm hoping folks can donate as they see fit to ensure that the site continues strong into the coming years.

I've been to some motocampers.com events, and you all probably wouldn't remember me, I'm usually a fly on the wall - but I am hoping I can put my mark by keeping this place afloat. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

dbone
02-07-2019, 11:04 AM
This is GREAT news, Derick! Beats the hell out of Wastebook.

dkurfiss
02-07-2019, 11:30 AM
Excellent news!!! I will be more than happy to shut down the FB site once you have finished all your upgrades. Please let me know if I can do anything to assist you.

GailForce
02-07-2019, 11:39 AM
Well this is certainly good news. I want Rick to know that we appreciate all that he has done for us.
And to Derick, thank you in advance for stepping up and your efforts to come.

lytle1gw
02-07-2019, 01:55 PM
Great news, really enjoy all the info and people in here. Will be willing to help as always.

Dusty Boots
02-07-2019, 03:23 PM
Great to hear and thanks for stepping up! P^

buttset
02-07-2019, 03:48 PM
Good news for sure. I will do anything I can, to see this site, remains open. Thanks.

Buttset from Mo.

dan1551
02-07-2019, 03:49 PM
P^ great news ! Thank you to Rick for everything you've done for us!

Rick B
02-07-2019, 03:50 PM
Great news. How do we donate to the fund account. The donate button didn't help.
Thanks,
Rick

rondarider
02-07-2019, 05:31 PM
,thank you. thank you . Thank you

hardwire
02-07-2019, 08:17 PM
P^ p^

:tent6:

Derick
02-07-2019, 08:26 PM
Great news. How do we donate to the fund account. The donate button didn't help.
Thanks,
Rick

I will have the donation system set up after the migration so you can hold off for now...it will be pretty simple and it's all integrated into vbulletin.

wrchael414
02-08-2019, 07:41 AM
Great news but I want to make sure I understand what will happen. You are migrating the content of Motocampers.com to beginnerbikers.org. Right?

Bill

Jim C-G
02-08-2019, 07:51 AM
That is good news.

lytle1gw
02-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Great news but I want to make sure I understand what will happen. You are migrating the content of Motocampers.com to beginnerbikers.org. Right?

Bill

the way I understand it, it will remain motocampers.com

Derick
02-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Bill

No, everything will remain as it is.

I merely referenced BBO as part of my experience and history of a declining forum based site.

mcrider1959
02-08-2019, 11:16 AM
Excellent news!!!
I have been dreading the day motocampers would cease to exist but, not anymore!! I would like to thank Rick for all of his hard work in keeping this terrific website going all of this time. Also many thanks to Deb for the Face Book effort, I thought is was a great backup plan. And thanks to Derick for his determination on keeping motocampers.com alive and well.

Many Many Thanks to all!!
Sincerely,
Roger

BigBob
02-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Great News!

mrclean28h
02-08-2019, 04:44 PM
Awesome

naga viper
02-08-2019, 06:09 PM
P^ great

Tourit
02-08-2019, 06:49 PM
Great news! This is one of the only sane(?) motorcycle boards left......B.

Fill
02-08-2019, 07:11 PM
Thank You!
Sincerely,

Fill
94 GL 1500 SE Extras: SIRUS Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SADDLEMAN Road Sofa and Touring Luggage, Touring Floodlights, Multiple Deer Whistles.
Pulling an 80 Eagle 1 Trailer or 12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
GWRRA / IBMC / TT / KOA

ratster
02-09-2019, 12:55 PM
AWESOME!

Thank you.

Derick
02-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Ok, we're all done with the downtime, and the site resides in its' new home!

I will be upgrading some of the additional add on software, so you may see features change a little here and there. That's just to update the versions so they are fresh. Some of the products that were install were also not compatible with the newest version of vbulletin, which we are now on.

dkurfiss
02-09-2019, 05:32 PM
Ok, we're all done with the downtime, and the site resides in its' new home!

I will be upgrading some of the additional add on software, so you may see features change a little here and there. That's just to update the versions so they are fresh. Some of the products that were install were also not compatible with the newest version of vbulletin, which we are now on.

Derick,
Since you are now up and stable I will turn down the Motocampers FB page. Thanks for picking this forum up and running with it.!

FarmerD
02-09-2019, 06:14 PM
Great news! Thanks.

brinckbiker1945
02-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Thanks Derick!!!

Ironheadziggy76
02-09-2019, 06:23 PM
Derick thank you so much for taking this site over! P^ Over time you will find these are some of the finest folks you could ever want to meet and ride with!

I also want to thank Rick for running this site for years, it's been a home away from home for me. I have made some wonderful friends due to this site, and it's good to know it's still going to be around.

Thanks again to the both of you guys!

Jayceesfolly
02-09-2019, 07:12 PM
This is great news! I have met a lot of great people here and enjoy spending time on this forum. I hope we have a Loleta campout this year. I really look forward to camping there every year. And thanks to Rick for all your years of hard work to keep this forum going. It is one of only a couple that I visited on a regular basis.

Jim

mailman01
02-09-2019, 07:16 PM
I have been in need of hearing some good, cheerful news for a couple of days, and this new heartbeat that has been given to Motocampers is just what I needed... Derick, I also want to extend a sincere THANK YOU for stepping up and taking the reigns to Motocampers.....If Rick had not spoiled us by running this wonderful site it would not have been such a big deal had it gone down the drain, but this was one of the few sites I checked daily..sometimes, several times a day...Thanks Rick and Derick.P^:hatw1::usflag1:

GailForce
02-09-2019, 09:13 PM
So Derick, can we start setting up events? How would you prefer to handle
the requests to set one up?

Gordon
02-09-2019, 09:33 PM
Great news. Thanks for stepping up.

--
Gordon

Derick
02-09-2019, 09:50 PM
So Derick, can we start setting up events? How would you prefer to handle
the requests to set one up?

I don't see why not.....but....I'm somewhat uninformed as to what all is necessary. Is there something needed from my end?

GailForce
02-09-2019, 10:35 PM
I don't see why not.....but....I'm somewhat uninformed as to what all is necessary. Is there something needed from my end?

We used to have an events section on the left side of the Home page. Rick would set up links to
our event posting. It also provided a place to RSVP for that camping event. Sure was handy.

kayakinbiker
02-10-2019, 01:14 PM
I knew somebody would come forward to keep this forum alive! I may not have a bike anymore but Im with u guys in spirit!

Dewey
02-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Thank You
Dewey

dkurfiss
02-11-2019, 07:37 AM
Now that we are all back home, all members of the FB group have been removed and the FB group made inactive. Derick thanks for taking over the group.

wrchael414
02-11-2019, 09:02 AM
Derrick, thanks for taking over the forum.

Rick, thanks for years of service and especially for sharing your motocamping experience.

Bill