PDA

View Full Version : Do you pack a microwave oven in your camper?

AspenDan
04-06-2017, 08:02 PM
Ok, so here's a question for all you riders who tow a camper. Does anyone pack a small microwave oven in their trailer. I'm considering a small 700 watt (.7 cu ft) unit to take along in my Aspen Classic. They're small, generally 19" x 12" x 11" depending on brand, light weight and relatively cheap, $45 to $65. Been cooking on a butane stove but there are so many microwave meals available these days I think I may try the microwave. After all, some people actually carry air conditioners so a small microwave probably wouldn't be out of the question. What do you think? PS: I travel alone so space isn't really a consideration.

3SportBiker
04-06-2017, 08:15 PM
I don't tow a camper, but if I did, I would DEFINITELY have a microwave. When I camp via automobile in my "Taj Mahal" LL Bean 12' x 20' cabin tent, I put in a little kitchen with 12 volt cooler and microwave (700 watt). It's awesome. Suddenly, you can warm coffee, heat soup, defrost things, and generally cook meals that otherwise would be a pain.

Nothing against gas/alcohol stoves, but a microwave is just so darn convenient, it would be a must for me. Since I've only got my bike and bags when Moto-Camping, I can't have one, but I sure wish I could.

BigBob
04-06-2017, 08:22 PM
No I don't carry a micro wave. I have camped next to a couple from the lower 48 that did have a micro wave, I jokingly suggested they should stay home... Then I invited them for tacos :) I enjoy camp cooking either with a fire or my two burner propane stove. Most of the campgrounds I use don't have power.
I have pondered packing an AC unit when I go south, The heat/humidity kicks my butt when I am back in the mid-west. I do bring a fan.

trikerdan
04-06-2017, 11:33 PM
They are not that heavy, but we enjoy cooking on the campfire. It seems like a part of camping to me. I enjoy preparing food on the campfire,

Dusty Boots
04-07-2017, 05:52 AM
Unless it's very early spring, or later fall, I rarely use a campsite that has power, so a microwave would be useless to me. I use either a canister single burner and/or a double burner propane stove to cook on.
When I do choose a campsite with power, (mainly for powering my oscilating fan heater to eliminate condensation/dampness inside the camper/camper ceiling) I have a small single burner hotplate (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aroma-Single-Burner-Portable-Electric-Range-Hot-Plate-AHP-303/5871070?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=9bd1205f-4040-4a6e-836b-abcbd8d55011&config_id=2&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=9bd1205f-4040-4a6e-836b-abcbd8d55011&item_id=5871070&parent_anchor_item_id=8467244&parent_item_id=8467244&placement_id=irs-2-m3&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=B2mFZ5lEGOHiyePUT9oSnU) to cook on as well.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5598/15464168676_f110cd1d18_c.jpg

dkurfiss
04-07-2017, 08:04 AM
I do not carry a micro wave but do have a single burner and double burner stove along with a hot plate.

wingpilot08
04-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Double burner Coleman propane stove and a JetBoil....no microwave.

dkurfiss
04-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Ya know, now that I think about it, Gary Gene carried a small micro wave in the mini mate. He was not much on cooking but would freeze and bring enough "left overs" to last him 4 or 5 dinners. He used the small microwave to reheat them with.

Dusty Boots
04-07-2017, 11:06 AM
You are correct, Deb!

AspenDan
04-07-2017, 01:38 PM
Well, I went ahead and bought a 700 watt microwave from Wally World this morning for $49 + tax. I'm leaving Tuesday morning for Eastbank Campground, a Corp of Engineers park in the extreme southwest corner of Georgia and located on Lake Seminole. When I return, I'll post a report on how useful the microwave was. Also, I'll post pics and a report on the campground. I've stayed at many COE parks and have never been disappointed.

Bluetick
04-07-2017, 01:48 PM
I wonder if anyone makes a 12v one that would work? It actually sounds like a good idea instead of hauling the stove and gas out to cook, especially inside.

Bluetick
04-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Of course they have 12v microwaves... I see a couple here (http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-microwave-wavebox/12-volt-microwave.htm) but they're expensive ($300+)...

Dusty Boots
04-07-2017, 01:59 PM
On an Aspen camper, if it's raining, or cold outside, you can always move one of the mattresses to the back and use the bed board.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5616/15464168166_205d862d76_c.jpg

Bluetick
04-09-2017, 07:33 PM
I actually have a small table to cook inside the RAH. It also helps warm up the place on a cold morning to just turn the burner on for a couple minutes. But I never say NO to any idea, no matter how crazy it seems at first.

Tenacious
04-10-2017, 01:31 PM
So Dusty, has the bed board proven to heat tolerant?
Thank you.

Dusty Boots
04-10-2017, 02:52 PM
It has so far for short cooking times. I would put some kind of heat protection underneath the single burner if you were simmering a meal for more than 45 minutes, just to be on the safe side and especially if your stove throws off a lot of heat on the underside. Ya gotta use common sense!

Roadhound
04-10-2017, 03:24 PM
I'm curious, how do you guys who cook in your tent trailers get the food smell out of your tent ? It seems like that could be a real problem if you ever camp in Bear country. I think that even if you don't cook in Bear country the smell of food from previous cooking would still be there to attract those critters with a much better sense of smell than us humans.

3SportBiker
04-10-2017, 03:28 PM
I never cook in my tent, ever. If it's raining, that's what my rainfly (that I set up over the picnic table or over the tent for extra outdoor lounging space) is for. The only time I ever cook in the tent is when I have the microwave. No open flame, nor direct heat sources like a burner. But to each their own. If you feel safe cooking in the tent, that's your decision. But again, that's where I personally think a microwave shines.

Roadhound
04-10-2017, 03:49 PM
I never cook in my tent, ever. If it's raining, that's what my rainfly (that I set up over the picnic table or over the tent for extra outdoor lounging space) is for. The only time I ever cook in the tent is when I have the microwave. No open flame, nor direct heat sources like a burner. But to each their own. If you feel safe cooking in the tent, that's your decision. But again, that's where I personally think a microwave shines.

When using a microwave you would still have food smells which would be absorbed by the tent fabric. I don't think critters are attracted by the smell of the fuel you are using, it's the smell of food which seems to attract them. I don't
cook in my tent, it's never looked to be a good ideal to me.

Bluetick
04-10-2017, 07:30 PM
I never really noticed the smell in there after a day. Does your kitchen at home smell like the food you cooked a couple days ago? My stove has a wind guard around three sides that pretty much protects it from burning anything. The only time we'll cook anything is usually just to heat water up for tea (coffee for you unsophisticated people), but if we do cook it's just common sense not to leave it setting up against the tent wall.

mailman01
04-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Well, I went ahead and bought a 700 watt microwave from Wally World this morning for $49 + tax. I'm leaving Tuesday morning for Eastbank Campground, a Corp of Engineers park in the extreme southwest corner of Georgia and located on Lake Seminole. When I return, I'll post a report on how useful the microwave was. Also, I'll post pics and a report on the campground. I've stayed at many COE parks and have never been disappointed.

You gonna like Eastbank...name says it all about the location....situated immediately on the East Bank of Lake Seminole, just out of Bainbridge, Ga and just north of the Florida line. Some of the best Largemouth Bass fishing in the Country. Yep, been here several times.

mailman01
04-10-2017, 08:40 PM
What is the real difference in using a heat source to cook in a tent vs an Aspen type camper? I have used my bed platform in the same manner as Dusty, in times of need.

AspenDan
04-11-2017, 07:00 PM
You gonna like Eastbank...name says it all about the location....situated immediately on the East Bank of Lake Seminole, just out of Bainbridge, Ga and just north of the Florida line. Some of the best Largemouth Bass fishing in the Country. Yep, been here several times.

You're right, Eastbank is a typical Core of Engineers park, gotta love em! $12.00 per night with my federal senior pass! And BTW, the microwave is GREAT! Stopped at the Winn Dixie in town and got a couple Lean Cuisine meals, really hit the spot after a tiring day and no cooking!

3SportBiker
04-11-2017, 08:05 PM
When using a microwave you would still have food smells which would be absorbed by the tent fabric. I don't think critters are attracted by the smell of the fuel you are using, it's the smell of food which seems to attract them. I don't
cook in my tent, it's never looked to be a good ideal to me.

I'm not worried about critters. I don't have "OPEN FLAME" in my tent for obvious reasons. Microwave, I'm not concerned about. But I agree. Cooking in the tent, IMO, is not ideal. I realize on some horrid days with heavy rain and wind, it may be the only option. That's where the microwave saves the day.

mailman01
04-16-2017, 09:45 AM
You're right, Eastbank is a typical Core of Engineers park, gotta love em! $12.00 per night with my federal senior pass! And BTW, the microwave is GREAT! Stopped at the Winn Dixie in town and got a couple Lean Cuisine meals, really hit the spot after a tiring day and no cooking! Those photos look very familiar...Eastbank I'm guessing......

AspenDan
04-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Those photos look very familiar...Eastbank I'm guessing......

You bet . . Eastbank site # 7 on the water. Spent three nights there and just returned home on Good Friday. Highly recommended for anyone doing the SW corner of Georgia.