PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Oven fuel?

Mr. Guy
03-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Ok, I think I've figured out how I'm going to carry the dutch oven, now I'm wondering weather ya'll carry your charcoal with you from home, buy a small bag when you get there, or if you use wood. I usually like to have everthing with me because sometimes I end up somewhere other than were I planed. Maybe just carry what I need for the first night and buy later.

Thanks, Guy

motomac
03-03-2008, 03:58 PM
I have carried charcoal with me, especially if I know there is a fore ban. I have bought charcoal when I get where I'm going and I have used the campfire more times than not. In fact I had never used charcoal until last year for my Dutch oven.

RangerBen
03-03-2008, 04:37 PM
I use the type charcoal that is matchlight, no starter fuel needed. I carry it from home if I have it. Fill a large freezer bag and store it inside the oven.

Ben

Mr. Guy
03-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks,

I think I will try putting as many briqutes as I need for a meal in a freezer bag, and as many bags like that as I need in the oven. Toss the bags in the trash as I go.

Thanks again, Guy

Flingshot
01-11-2010, 12:25 PM
I know this is an old thread but I just found it.
I just cooked in my new to me Dutch Oven recently and I am hooked!
This one will never see camp on my DRZ due to the fact it weighs 25 lbs but I will most likely try to get one of those little 6" ones and fit it in when I can.
I got this one off of Craigslist for $15 and had to remove some rust and season it but it works perfectly.

Here's what I made.

http://picasaweb.google.com/flingshot67/CastIronCooking#

motomac
01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
I have a 12" and 8" oven. The 8" incher went with me when I had my KLR.

Mr. Guy
01-11-2010, 07:20 PM
What's the big deal Flingshot, just put it in your backpack. :D :rolleyes:

Ya might look at the aluminum ovens. A LOT lighter. But I hear they don't heat as evenly.

Guy

Flingshot
03-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Sounds great! I think I am getting the hang of it so I am ready to try some desserts now.......
Also now that I am getting some work again, I think I'll get me an aluminum dutch oven pretty soon.